Jay's Wine Notes Blog

Where I can spew forth phrases like "hints of tar" and try to convince you/me that I enjoyed that.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

REVIEW: 2003 Sobon Estate Amador County Rocky Top Zinfandel

WOW, what a name!

Yep, this was the one that disappointed me, so don't expect a lot of glowing words on this review.

So I decant this bad boy and can't wait to taste it because, as ya'll know, I am a big Zin fan. Honestly, to me, this reminded me of something more European due to the earthiness and lack of fruit solid, in-your-face fruit flavor.

Even after a half hour+ of decanting it didnt get a whole lot better. If you're a Zin lover, blow your $17 on something else... preferably two Ravenswood Vintner's Blends if you can get them on sale. You'll be much happier.

My family liked it, but I was critical. Deep color, big body, but lacking the chugability or complexity of the Zin's I really like.

One note: do decant this guy. Sediment can be expected.


Swigs: 2 Bang: 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home