Jay's Wine Notes Blog

Where I can spew forth phrases like "hints of tar" and try to convince you/me that I enjoyed that.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

A note on decanting

Well, one thing I've noticed about decanting is that it's a good idea =) I read on damngoodwine.com (which is linked to the right, folks) is that decanting isn't just for old wines with sediment. "Young" wines (which I guess is anything under 5 years old) benefit from it as well.

What I can tell you is that I have to agree. There is a French wine I'm going to blog in a bit that went from utterly undrinkable at first (if you ask me) to sublime, smooth, and damn tasty after an hour of decanting. It was cool how along the way you could literally taste the harsher flavors becoming more mellow while the more yummy stuff became more noticable as time went on.

My point: go buy a decanter! Other point: If you know you're going to kill the bottle that night, decant! Trust me, you'll appreciate this advice.

I guess one other thing to say is that a good plan could be to decant your wine about 45 minutes before your dinner is ready so it's at prime tastiness when dinner is serverd. Then again, I can't wait 45 minutes for that first glass, but that's just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home